Monday, April 06, 2009

Hello to Birds

Yet another sign of spring, some of my old bird friends are returning. The starlings have made their home yet again in the two unused chimneys on the hill. They make the strangest noises and must have a vast vocabulary compared to most birds. Either that or maybe, like some people, they feel it necessary to chatter on about nothing and fill the quiet moments with jibber jabber. I've known some featherless two-leggeds with similar traits.

The purple finches have been busy working on the plethora of pine cones our pine trees dropped this winter. This is the heaviest drop of cones we've noticed in the 20 years we've been here. I recall a few winter mornings where the white snow under the pines transformed into a round carpet of little brown pine cones. It's fun to watch them work at getting their seedy rewards.

Back to featherless two-leggeds...there's a new "bird-song" I've been enjoying. I was just introduced to the beautiful, haunting music of Andrew Bird. I am admittedly infatuated. He is a "Chicago-based multi-instrumentalist, lyricist and whistler." It was the whistling that sealed the deal. A good whistler will always turn my head.

When I went to the show listing on his website, I was excited to see that he is playing in Minneapolis April 11th. Only to be followed with quick disappointment when reading the show was sold out. I'll be on the watch-out for future local performances.

Here are a couple of videos. Enjoy!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up on all your glorious news! COngratulations!!! I'm so glad for you & your man.

This bird guy is incredible. I've never heard of him!