Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Home Town

I graduated with 32 classmates in Western Minnesota 24 years ago. A few years after I graduated, my mother moved and my family ties to the area were severed. I went to my five year class reunion but haven't been to my home town since.

This Saturday my sisters, our mother and I went to our home town. When we lived on the farm we had the most wonderful neighbors. Our families have a lot of fine memories together. This Saturday their seven children held a reception to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.

It was fun to see everyone. The strange thing was that they all got 20 years older. How did that happen? There were a few that are now in their 40's that I no longer recognized. The older people that I hadn't seen since they were in their 50's hadn't changed that much other than a few more gray hairs and a few more wrinkles.

Growing up in such a small town meant you not only knew your classmates but all their brothers and sisters and parents and the classmates of your own brothers and sisters. It was a great place to grow up and going back to see these people felt like visiting family.


3 comments:

RennyBA said...

Thanks for the nice comments on my first year blog anniversary post. I'm glad you landed and found something of interest to you.

I do know this special home town feeling and you can read all about mine at:
http://rennybasblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/white-white-snow-of-home.html

morealyera said...

aww, that sounds like it was a great experience. Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

"GO-PACKERS"!! :)
sis