Friday, January 02, 2009

Moon Doggie

Last night I let Rico (the fur child) outside to do his duty. I usually have him on leash at night but he's been so good lately I let him out without clipping it on. My mistake. There must have been a rabbit or something at the edge of the woods because he took off like a speeding bullet after the critter. Most likely a rabbit finding tidbits under the pine trees behind the house.

After a few minutes of calling for him, I went in and got my boots and coat on to walk over to the woods and listen for him. Often I can hear him rustling through the woods, ignoring my requests to return. I walked to the edge of the woods and listened. I took a moment to stop worrying about the dog and admire the view. The moon was bright and cast indigo shadows on the light blue snow. It made me think of a poem by Robert Frost.


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost


Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village, though.

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.


Rico did return about 20 minutes later with tail between legs and head held down low. His way of asking forgiveness rather than permission. Maybe he too was drawn to the woods lovely, dark and deep. Regardless, a promise I need to keep...to take a moment to clip on the leash.

8 comments:

will said...

Ah, we all have our primal side.

Unknown said...

I love the poem. I think I have read it before some time ago, but it is beautiful. Glad Rico came back, naughty boy ! S

ArtSparker said...

I''m sort of seeing why misbehaving men have been called dogs from that description...

cube said...

I must thank Rico (bad dog!) for inspiring you to post that poem. Very nice.

Kath said...

it is so scary when they run ...

KFarmer said...

Dog left the farm the other day for the first time EVER. My nephew wanted Dave to go over and look at his new toy. Dave said not right now and so sweet little nephew took Dog w/him in thinking Dave would have to go over to his house to get her. Pretty shitty that...

I'm glad your sweetie came home. I love walking in the yard/woods at night. It's magic, no? ;)

Anonymous said...

hey,

maybe Rico was guiding you into the woods to play and observe.
I always let hound free leash, he takes me amazing places.. and always comes back after 20 minutes.

will said...

OK about the interview... will you send me you email address so I can send you the questions?

mine

IV92588@gmail.com