Friday, February 23, 2007

Stormy Weekend

Weatherman is saying we're going to get a good dumping of snow this weekend. Today has felt a lot like the poem below - cold, gray and windy in preparation for the storm to come. Photo by me - it's our barn in February 2005.



BECLOUDED
by Emily Dickinson

The sky is low, the clouds are mean,
A traveling flake of snow
Across a barn or through a rut
Debates if it will go.

A narrow wind complains all day
How someone treated him;
Nature, like us, is sometimes caught
Without her diadem.

5 comments:

voyageur said...

That's so cool. So there is something to see in the interior of Wisconsin's Hiawatha Valley counties after all.

Andrew said...

This photo so reminds me of home. I am from Connecticut where they grow a lot of tobacco. The farmers dry it in big red barns. I love the Midwest but we live in the city. I miss the barns of my youth.

Do you ever go to the Creamery in Downsville?

Balou said...

@ voyageur - There's some very pretty areas in the interior of the county. The St. Croix River and Mississippi on the Western edge are the highlights though.

@ andrew - I know of it but have not been there myself. Will get there one of these days. Thanks for visiting!

actonbell said...

Lovely barn, lovely poem:) I like your balloon pictures, too--magnificent blog--and thank you for visiting!

Mary said...

Jealousy rears its ugly head -- I WANT you barn!!

MMB