Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Never Thought I'd Miss These

I never thought I'd miss TV commercials. At least the non-political genre advertisements. I'm so tired of the political jabbing ads and the fake sentimental ads of one senator holding the hand of a boy who suffered from a rare disease or another candidate apologizing for "getting her words wrong" and calling her fellow politicians anti-American. Or candidates mispronouncing nuclear and purposefully dumbing down their language skills by forgetting the "g" in words ending with "ing." Listen up you political handlers, I want someone smarter than me running the show - not a dumbed down version of the average Joe or Josephine out to run our government. Hey, I can pronounce nuclear and words ending in "ing", maybe I should run?

I heard someone had an idea to limit the amount of political TV advertisements allowed in a 24 hour period and only starting 6 months before elections. I'm all for government censorship in that case. Think that bill would get passed? Maybe if it had 140 billion dollars of pork tacked on.

Five days. Only five more days until it's back to the good old Pillsbury dough boy giggling, bears using Charmin in the woods, Mothers washing their soccer playing kids clothes in Tide, Diet Coke artistically bubbling into the surreal sky, super mega shrimp specials at Red Lobster, iPhone commercials making me drool and the list goes on and on and on.

So, next time you're cussing out the large amount of commercials plugging their goods before Drew Carey tells you who won the showcase showdown, remember those political ads of 2008. Or, better yet, turn the damn thing off.

4 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Oh! I'm so excited to comment on this! One of the things I've been resisting drawing (because I seriously need to get other work done) is drawing Sarah Palin haunted by the ghosts of all the dropped g's. Don't you think they could look like little spectres?

Balou said...

@ ArtSparker - I love that idea!

teahouse said...

Amen to that!

I too would love to think that the people at the charge in gov't are smarter than I am.

KFarmer said...

Good grief! I can't stand commercials of any kind and flip, flip, flip until I see anything, and I mean anything, other than a commercial. I really want to throw something when the policital ones come on...but quickly flip before I do :)