We celebrated my Mom's 75th birthday today. All the siblings & a few of their kids met up in St. Cloud, MN for lunch with Mom and Stepdad. We spent a couple of hours talking, eating and admiring her new shiny presents. It was a short, but nice celebration.
Mom turned 50 the year I graduated from high school. That's the age she is and always will be to me in my brain. It still throws me for a loop when I have to stop and realize that she can't do all the things she used to. I've told her this before and she says in some ways, she still feels 25. If only our bodies listened to our brains!
One of my favorite "Mom-ism's" is her answer to the question, "How old are you?" Her stock reply is "Born in '32, figure it out." So here's some interesting tidbits about the year my Mother was born and we all know it was 1932. ;)
- Amelia Earhart is first woman to fly Atlantic solo.
- Charles A. Lindbergh's baby son kidnapped, killed.
- A first class stamp cost $.02.
- Herbert Hoover was the president.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected president in November.
- Unemployment reported at 24%.
- The Kentucky Derby champion was "Burgoo King."
- Earthquake kills 70,000 in Kansu, China.
- Jazz composer Duke Ellington writes "It Don't Mean a Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing."
- Jack Benny's radio show premieres.
- Yankees win the 29th World Series.
- Electric-eye enables typesetting machine to scan print without operator.
- Radio City Music Hall opens in Manhattan.
- Others born in '32: Johnny Cash, Elizabeth Taylor, Ted Kennedy, Debbie Reynolds, Jim Nabors, Della Reese, Peter O'Toole, Mel Tillis, Patsy Cline, Robert Reed (Brady Bunch Dad), Little Richard