Monday, March 26, 2007

Høre Norsk (Learn Norwegian)

I've been wanting to learn a second language for a long time and since I've decided I will visit Norway one of these days, Norwegian (Norsk) is going to be my second language. Strange though it may be, here's my thought process; since a number of my relatives originated from Norway, I believe my Norwegian instincts will kick in and I'll pick up the language quickly. You know, like how German Shepherds have an instinct for herding everything around them. You're all thinking "Is she serious?" No. Yes. Well maybe a little. Although it's not a controlled scientific study unless I have someone of non-Norwegian descent learning the language with me. Hubby is 100% English according to their family tree. Hey hubby! Want to perform a scientific experiment?

I went shopping on Amazon.com and the euroTalk interactive CD entitled "Learn Norwegian" arrived in the mail last week. The CD is impressing me so far. It's a combination of images with words, games and two different people pronouncing the words. I can also record my voice speaking the words and it replays with my recording followed by the proper pronunciation. At least one part of my instinct theory has been proven wrong. My tongue does not have the instinct for performing short rolling r's which is needed for some of the words I'm learning. Maybe my tongue is more German than Norwegian. I'll keep practicing.

"Takk" is Norsk for "thank you." "Tusen Takk" is "thank you very much." I mentioned the program uses images to aid in word recognition - here are the images they felt best described thank you and thank you very much...


I wonder what the pictures for "a good bank robber" and "a great bank robber" will be? I think there also may be a reason for the tongue depressor graphic behind the words. A graphic jab at my disabled tongue perhaps? I'll keep you up to date on my progress. Now, hvor er banken (where is the bank)?

15 comments:

Tedj said...

Will you be learnin' NiNorse?

lime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lime said...

doh, that was me...i made a mistake. anyway...

well good luck, i think any foreign language study is valuable. and lol@ the graphics.

Anonymous said...

Balou -- you are my hero these days -- buying a concertina, learning Norwegian, designing lobster lingerie. You are living/creating the dream!

By the way, I applied for my passport -- did you go for yours?

RennyBA said...

Wooow, for a Norwegian to see a post like this makes my heart melting you know! Didn't know you where about to visit Norway - we just have to meet then! I'll gladly show you the banks and guide you around:-)
Velkommen til Norge!

Unknown said...

Apparently they rob a lot of banks in Norway. And the bank robbers are always smiling. Those pictures are hilarious.

I've thought of visiting The Homeland some day (yes, I'm three-quarters Norwegian ... who cares about the rest) but have yet to do so.

Anonymous said...

I reckon I could give yer talkin like a forener a shot. Is there any other of them there norwegins with a southern accent?
Takk ya'll
( means thanks ya'll)
Hubby

morealyera said...

lol @ Hubby :)

Congrats, balou - learning a second language can be fascinating and maddening all at once. I'm sort of doing it by necessity. It's all Greek to me... hee hee!

Be sure to check out the BBC site, here - it's free and you might find it helpful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/quickfix/norwegian.shtml

Balou said...

Dav: Not sure what NiNorse is but I'll go Google it!

Lime: I think I'll need some luck!

Mary: Filling the cup of life with positives! But I'm still procrastinating on the passport! Doh!

Renny: Would love to visit you and Diane! I'll be expecting one of those wonderful meals you keep showing us. Not sure how soon we will visit Norway - still saving up for it.

Actonbell: Cultured like yogurt. ;)

Dorky Dad: Those pictures are just the tip of the iceberg. I may have to share more.

Hubby: Lessons start tonight!

Morea: How is the French coming along? Thanks for the link! You are ever the helpful librarian.

morealyera said...

so far the french has pretty much been a lot of procrastination, to be honest. I took classes for a few years in high school, but that was longer ago than I care to mention, and to top it off, France french and Quebec french are not the same animal.

I'm trying to con my roomie into working with me so I can get some practice, but I get very frustrated and I think he's a little bit scared of me. :)

Jocelyn said...

My husband and I are officially chortling at the photos--oh, yes, big thanks requires a huge bag of money. And then your thoughts about the pictures for bank robbers. Yup, we're laughing lots at/with you tonight.

Unknown said...

Eeeeeeyyyoooouuu ... have been TAGGED. Check out my blog.

Craig D said...

UFDA!

Adrianifero said...

Hey, i´m just starting to learn norwegian by myself. I found a lot of resources on internet. How much time did it cost to you to learn?

Greetings

Unknown said...

I can help you rob a bank if i get 50% hehehe.And if you need help learn norwegian=norsk i help you to.When you go Norway? im janivarg@gmail.com