Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm It!

I didn't make it to the safe zone in time. Dorky Dad has tagged me. His reason was "because he's curious." Well, he'll probably think I'm curious by the end. If I had to be tagged though, I like this one. I need to list seven songs I've been enjoying. But wait, just seven? I am a Mac person and have a hefty iTunes folder. In fact I recently bought an external hard drive to store said music among other things. How will I narrow it down? I'll try.

1. "Flathead" by The Fratellis. I have to admit I was sucked in by the iPod TV ad. Love the video too. It's fun to see something different. Have been playing this album quite a bit over the past week.

2. "I Cried Like A Silly Boy" by Devotchka. Heard this group described as "Eastern Block Indie Rock" which I think fits. I think it sounds like Roy Orbison feeling Bulgarian in Mexico. Most of the other tracks on this album have a strong mariachi sound to them. It's fun.

3. "In A Sentimental Mood" by John Coltrane. Out of the Jazz category I'd have to pick this one. Makes me want to pour a glass of wine and melt.

4. "Oelle como espíritu adolescente" by the Mandragora Tango Orchestra. I am so excited! I had no clue this was a local group! Hubby, I have a suggestion for a date night. And if you don't recognize the song title, it's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it makes a beautiful tango arrangement.

5. "Black Coffee In Bed" by Squeeze. I used to have this album back in the day and this was one of my favorites. I was surprised to find the video on You Tube. I think the song has a much longer shelf life than that video. Ah, 1982, the year I graduated from High School.

6. "Cucurrucucu Paloma" by Caetano Veloso. He's a superstar in Brazil. I have no clue what he's singing but his voice carries me away. It has something to do with a bird.

7. "Diamond Day" by Vashti Bunyan. She's been a folk music icon in the UK since the late 60's but I just recently discovered her music. It's sweet and simple.


I'm going to slip in this last one too because I've listened to this more than the others in the past few days. It's the first little song I've learned on the new concertina. It's really bad but thought I'd share with you anyways. "Oro" by balou.


I'm going to break the rules a bit and say if you're reading this and want to be tagged, you're it!
Let us know in the comments if you choose to be tagged. If you don't want to be tagged, welcome to the safe zone.

7 comments:

Logophile said...

I am soooo glad Dorky dad tagged you.
I am loving your list!
Teen Spirit made an awesome Tango, so love it. I enjoyed the Tori Amos cover too, but that was totally unexpected and wonderful.
Wonder what Kurt would think?
Coltrane is always amazing and the Fratelli's are good fun.
Devotchka was new to me and you described it perfectly.
Squeeze was a fun flashback and I would listen to that Brazilian superstar for a while as well, no matter what he means.
Diamond Day was great, and the animation on that one was fun.
AND OMG, Balou with Oro was GREAT!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dan said...

Any list with Coltrane has got to be good!

And your concertina skills kick ass! :)

Unknown said...

Wow. You rock. My curiosity has been totally rewarded. Your selections were fabulous indeed but the kicker was the concertina. Nice bonus! Thanks!

Craig D said...

Coltrane and Squeeze I knew. Beyond that... whew! I'm not in a position to listen to anything right now, but I'll come back when I can hear your concertina concerto!

RennyBA said...

Thanks for the safe zone! :-) Great songs though. I've done mine: RennyBA's Music Hall of Fame
Wishing you a lovely weekend!

voyageur said...

I tend to get music for free from the legal Napster.

I liked "Oro". You might be interested in checking out the Toucan Pirates. I think they have a lot of concertina there. They are on the legal Napster, so I am sure they must be available on iTunes.

Jocelyn said...

I know John Coltrane and Squeeze. Otherwise, I am an idiot.

But I love the chance to actually get up to speed with music out there in the world. I've had my head down a bit since I had kids...